Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Pesky Story

Dogs, man’s most loyal friend are the perennial favourites especially with children. But it is not enough to want to own a pet. Having a pet entails the responsibility of feeding it regularly, grooming it, taking it out for walks as well as ensuring that its emotional requirements are met. Yes, dogs are affectionate and long for affection just as we do. Owning a pet can be great fun provided all the family members like the pet and are willing to give a helping hand in its upkeep. But owning a pet where one spouse is not able to handle the pet physically is tantamount to taking care of an infant by remote control and can lead to many hilarious situations.
My husband’s family always had dogs, though the earlier ones never got the status of a household pet. In true tradition of an orthodox Brahmin family, these mongrels were given their Thayir Saadam and shooed away from the Samaiyal Arai. Our house is an old-time Bangalore Cantonment bungalow and they were content to wander around and lie in some remote corner of the compound.They knew their status in the household and did not attempt to breach the barrier. However things assumed a different shape, when my husband wanted to own a properly bred dog. This was the first sign of trouble because I was scared of dogs. However , after a lot of persuasion and promises that the dog would never get in my way, I agreed. The first proper dog that we had was a female Labrador called Betsy, who managed to inch her way into my affections. But though she won a place in my heart, I never summoned the courage to physically handle her. Apart from placing her food in her dish, the rest of her caring was handled by my husband and servants. But this cute, lovable dog never learnt one basic thing, all her life- to do her business while going for her walks and not inside the compound. As a result, our garden was dotted with dog poop of various sizes and hues. Our servants did a good job of cleaning up but I always felt bad that Betsy did her business inside.
Betsy lived a full, happy life, enriching our lives multifariously till death claimed her. The void she left in our lives was huge and had to be filled up. Accordingly, Betsy Junior, again a tawny female Labrador entered our lives. Since I had also been instrumental in getting the dog this time, I was determined that she should be brought up properly, with good habits and discipline, along shot but one definitely worth striving for. The first step in this direction was to get a proper dog trainer. That is how Robert arrived on the scene . “Eleven thousand for a course of three months, during which I will give obedience and toilet training to the dog. The course duration will be extended if required for an extra amount that I will inform later. Please don’t ask questions about my training schedule and methods. I will show RESULTS”. said Robert in a tone that brooked no further argument. We had no choice but to agree. Seeing the expression on our faces, he hastened to add, “Don’t worry. I won’t beat the dog. My heart is full of love for them. God bless! This turned out to be his favourite expression. So folks, in case you are planning to acquire a dog, like tuition fees of your kids, budget also for the additional expense of Dog Trainer’s fees!
Betsy disappeared for long walks with Robert and on returning, would plonk herself down tiredly. Periodically, Robert would announce the stage in her training. But the thing uppermost in our minds was how to regulate her toilet timings. “Once she learns to walk on the road alright, she will do her business outside”, he assured me. Then the day that we had been waiting for arrived. “Today, toilet training starts, Madam. Please put some of Betsy’s poop in a bag. I will scatter it here and there such that she is guided by the smell to do poop at particular places”, announced Robert. After a few days, he said, “Please take her for a walk and see her do her business. ‘Once she does her job, praise or reward her with a biscuit”.
My husband snapped a colourful leash onto an eager Betsy and both of them set out as if to a party. After some time, the two returned with my husband giving the thumbs down sign. I duly passed the feedback to Robert who dismissed it with an airy, “You got to persist. No pain, no gain”. The drama continued for a week, with both of them setting out every day with great enthusiasm and the but returning, one with a defiant look on her face and my husband with a determined expression. Betsy would coolly return from her walk and dash off to the back of the house to do her business. Utterly frustrated, my husband snapped at me one day, “She hasn’t learnt anything. Since you don’t know a thing about dogs, this guy is taking us for a good ride”.
Betsy is now two years old and the sweetest dog you ever came across. Her obedience is exemplary and she walks quietly on the road without a leash.But there is nothing that she enjoys more than to go for a nice, long walk and rush back to the house to do her business king-size.

No comments:

Post a Comment